Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Anne Feeney at COP 15.Full Concert


SHORT FEENEY BIO:


Based in Pittsburgh, PA, Anne Feeney is the granddaughter of an intrepid mineworkers' organizer, who also used music to carry the message of solidarity to working people. After two decades of community activism and regional performances at rallies, Anne took her message on the road. Since 1991 Anne has traveled to the frontlines in 42 states, as well as Canada, Mexico, Denmark, Ireland and Sweden.

Her anthem "Have You Been to Jail for Justice?" is being performed by activists everywhere, including Peter, Paul and Mary. Dubbed the "minister of culture" to the movements for economic and social justice and human rights, Anne is "the best labor singer in North America" according to Utah Phillips. In 2005, Anne received the Joe Hill Award from the Labor Heritage Foundation in Washington, DC. Past recipients include Cesar Chavez, Pete Seeger, Faith Petric and Hazel Dickens. Her critcally acclaimed recordings are widely available.


The most current news about what I've been up to is on my blog. You can also find out where I'm playing, listen to music, download photos, press kit/press release, bio, buy music, leave me a message, and/or get on my mailing list to receive the monthly "Fellow Travelers' Advisory".


Hi, welcome to my website. If you're a left-leaning music fan, you'll be glad you stopped by. Please get on my mailing list before you leave so that we can stay in touch. I only send out one email a month - The Fellow Travelers' Advisory - and I think you'll enjoy it. Eight thousand subscribers can't be wrong!

I've been 'comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable' since I graduated from high school in 1968. The Vietnam war and the Civil Rights Movement shaped my conscience and consciousness. I worked for a dozen years or so as a trial attorney, and served as President of the Pittsburgh Musicians' Union. For the last 25 years I was really living my dream... on the road 200+ days a year... all over the US and Canada, and then Sweden, Ireland and Denmark. It has been my privilege to spend most of my waking hours with people who are trying to make a difference in this world... people on strike, or in a union or community organizing drive, or defending women's rights, the environment, human rights ... working to end poverty and racism ... teaching peace.

In August of 2010 I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. This disease comes with a pretty grim prognosis. As I tried to reconcile myself to this reality, I reached out to my friends for help and support. I am overwhelmed! I haven't had to worry about money since I got ill. My heart is filled with gratitude to all of my friends and family.

On March 5th my fabulous oncologist said he'd see me again in six months! Here I am, more than 18 months after diagnosis, and completely cancer-free. It's amazing news and in complete defiance of the statistics - I've made a career of being defiant, though - and I recommend it to all of you.

No comments: